Friday, March 16, 2018

Comfortably Numb - A Work In Progress


Song:  Comfortably Numb

Group:  Pink Floyd


I am presently transposing the above song for the Bass Flute as a duet.

It is my favorite song from my favorite group.


I am using the vocal and lead guitar track for Flute I...
and I will be using the bass guitar and the keyboard track for Flute II.

I am only halfway through this song...
just for Flute I.

I will be spending many more hours transposing this song.

I am actually using the music from the above music video...
my Bass Flute to play along with it...
and then placing the corresponding notes and other musical notations
on the MuseScore 2 computer program manuscript paper...one note at a time...
and with a lot of foot tapping to keep time...
it is coming along.

I will be publishing it in a separate article so those of whom are interested...
may print out the music to play.



While I tried to keep true to the song...
I had made some minor changes in a few places...
not that the song is not already perfect...
but...I added a few minor flourishes where some repeated sustained notes...
simply would not sound so interesting on a Bass Flute.

I think it was only in one or two spots.


I had to first lay down the bass track (Flute II)...
for the introduction so I would know when the Flute I would start.

I then just started transposing the vocal and lead guitar track for flute I.

Although I must play all the notes on my Bass Flute to arrive at which notes...
and in what division of time they must be put on paper...
and I check it by measure once I have put it down, to check for accuracy...
I won't be able to start practicing the whole song until I complete transposing it.



I am on page four...
of what will probably end up being an eight page musical score.

On the above page four...
I noticed I had gotten out of phase with the timing...
and I now must back track to find out where I had miss counted a note or a rest.



As you can see...
I had to backtrack two measures before the last on the previous photo...
to add in the appropriate quarter rest I had mistimed.

In this musical score...
there is a variety of timing changes...
and even octave leaps.

I find this whole process to be profoundly interesting.

I am already thinking about the next song I will be doing.

I hope to have this finished sometime next week.

It will be a whole lot of fun playing.

I plan to do many Classic Rock songs in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment