Friday, September 14, 2018

Connections - Transcription



Song:  Connections

Original Composers:  Paul Horn and Steve Halpern

Modified Transcription:  Shiroi Tora


I had modified the song by transcribing only the flute...
not any of the piano.

So...
as there are parts where the piano is playing solo...
I simply took out all of the piano portions.

This shortened the song significantly...
and on one portion...
I had to lower it an octave
(seventh line...second measure...initiating with the staccato notes...
and ending after the half note in the next measure...but it works  :)

I also took out some of the flute portions...
as Paul Horn was in a unique echoing environment...
and I didn't add those portions.

I had first heard this album in the mid eighties...
and I loved the music.

I wanted to try this song as it really stretched my capabilities.

I learned how to add tremelo to the notes.

The triple horizontal bars on the sixth line in the first and second measures...
indicate that the notes alternate between the two at a rate of 1/32...
and the alternating notes are for 1/4 note in total...
not 1/4 each.

There were also some very fast note changes...
the fastest I had to transcribe yet
(you will notice one quintuplet and one sextuplet in the space of a 1/8 note).

I learned a lot on this song...
and, I am getting much quicker in my transcriptions...
as I can discern the notes in rapid passages much more quickly.

I am going to try my hand at composing my own songs next.

It will take a while...
and I may take a break from it to do more transcribing.

I will have to see.




No comments:

Post a Comment